OK, so it’s been a week or so since my last posting. Sorry about that but life got a little busy around the house and family comes first. I wanted to at least let you all know what is happening in this monthly update.
- The weather has returned to a less warm and more normal temperature over the last few days. The Summer preview that we got returned to normal and it still is pretty nice out. I believe it is to return to the 80’s this weekend after we have some sleet and possibly snow tonight. But over the last month or sol everyone has been out walking, running or cycling. It is amazing to see so many people out exercising on the trails around here. Really a great community for such activity.
- Speaking of a great community, I guess I actually do live in one officially. Appleton, Wisconsin, has been named the second-best small city in the country for health-related well-being by Gallup’s Healthways Well-Being index. In fact, Appleton came in 10th out of 190 U.S. metropolitan areas with the highest Well-Being Index score - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, ranked No. 1. It was really good to see that a couple of weeks ago in the paper. I know I have talked about the great trails, hospitals, running clubs and the overall quality of life here. It really is a great place to live, work and raise kids. I’m lucky to have been offered a job here three years a go.
- Training is going slowly still. I’m trying not to push it too much. My right knee did act up Sunday evening and was painful for a couple of days. The cause was standing for two hours on Sunday evening teaching class. So I guess it is not as healed or strengthened as I thought it was. I need to baby it some but realize that I am on the clock for the fall races. I’m getting a little concerned that I will not be able to do the mileage and or time training I need before late August and the first big race. But I hope to get more into a routine training wise this coming week.
- Training schedule wise I will be traveling for work twice in the next two months. So for those two one week periods I will need to train on the road. Looking forward to it in a sense as it is always exciting to see new towns and run there. Looking at Dallas in a couple of weeks and then most likely Roswell Georgia in May.
- I finally had my formal consultation with the chiropractor last week. My wife and I went in to take a look at the x-rays and to hear what if anything needed to be addressed. My back was OK but not great so there could be a little work there. But the big news was that I have some fairly serious neck issues to deal with. I won’t bore you all with the details but let’s just say that I need to do a lot of work to address what they found. Hopefully this will help with my headaches and so other issues I have been having. More to come on this as I am going for a second opinion and to finalize a treatment plan.
- I have been asked to be a part of a company’s marking effort for their product. I won’t give it away who that is yet. I’ll wait until the video is done and ready to be shared. I’ll post it on the blog when it is available in a couple of months. But it has been fun to be a part of such an effort for a product that I truly like and enjoy using.
- The books to review just keep on coming. I am trying to get through them and a review written as quickly as I can for them. I am fortunate enough to be getting advanced copies of some of the more highly anticipated titles coming out in the next few months. But recently I learned an embarrassing lesion where I cannot post the review until it is published. I will not go into detail on what happened just yet on one of the titles but I learned a lot from that one experience. In the end it all worked out and the author was very cool about it. I do have a lot of book reviews to share with you and could possibly have like one a week for the next few months.
- I also have some new gear to talk about as well. I have some insoles, socks and even some new shoes to review. Yes, I have my North Face Double Track trail shoes now that I cannot wait to try. I’ll certainly get that review out as soon as I put a few miles on them. I also see doing reviews on some hydration packs this spring. One of the reviews I am really looking forward to as well is the new Under Amour Coldback running clothes that just came out. I hear that the gear really works and I am hoping to get a couple of shirts in the next month or so to review. I hope they work because I am looking to wear it during my August marathon.
- I finally bought my son a real pair of running shoes this week. I kind of fell into buying them this week and I think he will love wearing them. I’ll let you know how they work out for him and how his training goes this summer. Not sure if he is still considering the running club or not at this point. But outdoor soccer starts in two weeks and he is very excited for that. He may be attending a week long soccer camp this summer as well. I know he is also very excited about possibly playing Pop Warner football this fall.
So there is an update for you. I hope to get back on a regular schedule this coming week with new blogs for you.